Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gestational Diabetes

This is all new to me. I now have Gestational Diabetes (GD). It is a problem where the placenta has started to produce hormones in addition to what my body makes naturally. These hormones block the signals that tell my body to produce or use insulin. So, my blood sugar goes up. My blood sugars are not crazy, they for the most part are completely within range 98% of the time. That other two percent are my morning fast readings and the occasional reading post meal that is a little high. The morning fast readings are the ones that the Dr. is worried about. That is the longest period of time that the baby is exposed to these higher sugars. That can cause they baby to grow extra big, have very high blood sugar at birth, or possibly develop diabetes later in life. So we are working on taking care of those naughty morning numbers, with a medication (not insulin ).
Needless to say that because of this GD I am on a new and different diet. Realistically, the ammounts of proteins and veggies are what I should have been eating all along, so this would be an ideal diet for all pregnant women. The catch is the things I am not supposed to eat. I miss my chocolate, I miss being able to have a bowl of ice cream because I want it, and I miss Brown Bag Cookies (a local cookie bakery, super yummy).
All of these food issues, and testing and medicine should go away the day I deliver. But the diet is healthy and working so I will probably keep up with some of it after I deliver.
The diet.
Breakfast is two parts. Part one I get 2 protein and a starch. (usually two eggs scrambled or one egg and one vegetarian sausage and a piece of super whole grain toast) Part two, two hours later, is 1 dairy, one fruit and one starch. (usually 1 c of fat free plain yogurt, 1 c or strawberries or raspberries mixed into the yogurt, and another piece of toast. But it could be grapes, cherries, apple or nectarine, 1 oz of cheese and crackers)
Lunch is 1 dairy, 1 fruit, 3 protein, 2 veggie, 3 starch. Yesterday it was a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, caramelized onions and avocado. Last week it was two open faced tuna salad sandwiches with cheese on top, and fruit and veggies on the side. One serving of veggies is 1/2 c cooked or 1 c raw, so between the fruit, veggies and if I have yogurt or cottage cheese for my dairy, that is four cups of food.
Dinner is 1 dairy, 1 fruit, 4 protien (between 4-6 oz of meat or seafood), 2 veggies and 3 starches(usually 1/3-1/2 c of cooked starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, etc)
I get to eat alot of food. But it has to be in the right portions and the right kinds. Whole grain breads versus sourdough or white. Baked, broiled or grilled rather than fried. I have been doing it for a week now and I am getting really good at "site measuring" my amounts. I have been able to eat out twice now. I can mentally check things off and keep track of my portions.
Speaking of which I have to go make lunch. I will post a few new recipes soon.
Love Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment