Saturday, July 21, 2007

Food Review....Mock Chicken Patty

I said I would review Yummy foods that are healthy. So here it goes.
Hubby loves Chicken Parmaseana. Whenever we go out he orders that. I knew I could make it better at home. So I started looking for help, I hate frying things, it is messy and time consuming. I looked at frozen, breaded chicken patties, breasts and even strips. They all had upwards of 800 mgs of sodium and at least 13 grams of fat. Every chicken patty we tried seemed to be pressed and molded concoctions of various meat. They didn't taste very good and often had gristly bits.
Then I had a revelation, Morning Star Farms. This is a company that makes vegetarian meat replacements. They are made from Textured Vegetable Protein. Known as TVP to vegans and vegetarians. It is a soy product, but tastes nothing like soy milk, baby formula or tofu. Hubby and I love their ground meat replacer, I like their sausage and my sister loves the buffalo wings and corn dogs, so why not give it a try. They have two Chick Patties products, the Original and Parmesean Ranch. I wasn't sure about the Parmesean Ranch flavor over the Original, because often when things are flavored the flavoring is too much and over powers the food. The Parmesean Ranch was delicious, a nice herby outside and a delicious "chickeny" inside. Either one works perfectly for Chicken Parmeseana, Chicken Parmaseana Sandwiches, or Chicken Patty Sandwiches.
The Original flavor has 540 mgs of sodium and only 6 grams of fat. They come in a package of four, wraped in two sealed plastic packs, to keep them fresh. In the stores that I find them in, they are between $3.50 and $5.00 a package. But if you compare that to the cost of two meals worth of meat, it is reasonable. ( It is just Hubby and I and one patty each is good for a meal.)
They cook up quickly in the micro or in the oven. I usually use a blended cooking method, giving them a minute in the micro and using the broiler to melt cheese and sauce over the tops.
If you haven't tried one of their products I highly recommend starting with these. They taste like real chicken, there are no gristly bits or wierd pressed meat texture. They have a real meat mouth feel, and even look like real chicken patties. (Yes, you can fool your friends.)
Try something new. Love Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment