Thursday, July 19, 2007

Diabetic Irish Breakfast

Our first morning in Ireland, we went down to breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The waiter thought we were with a tour group and asked us if we wanted the Traditional Irish Breakfast or eggs and bacon. We hadn't seen any menus, so we kind of assumed "How quaint they only have two breakfast offerings." So we all got the Traditional Irish Breakfast. We were expecting, potatoes (it is Ireland afterall), maybe oatmeal or other poridge, and Irish soda bread. No, No, and No. We got a tray with dry white toast (cold, not refridgerated but not hot). We all got coffee, we had to ask for tea or anything else to drink. The main plate was three kinds of sausage, Black (which I swear is related to blood sausage or scrapple), white (a little more like scrapple than anything) and either one huge or two smaller pork links, 1 fried egg, grilled tomato halves, and three or four sauteed mushroom caps. Needless to say James, the Texan Meatatarian, was happy. Mom and I were a little like "When in Rome.." Both of us knowing coming to the understanding that this vacation was going to be hard on our respective diets.
So, recently I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. For breakfast I can have 2 proteins and once starch. I have been having one piece of whole wheat toast, one piece of vegetarian sausage, and one fried egg. Mushrooms are on my list of foods that I can eat as much of as I want and I like them, so they end up on or in almost everything.
So the Diabetic Irish Breakfast is
One piece of toast.
One fried egg to your liking. One piece of sausage ( I like the patty kind, it layers better)
Sauteed mushrooms, 2-4 depending on size and liking (I slice them up for faster cooking)
Place the toast (buttered if you like) on the plate, place sausage patty, one fried egg, and mushrooms. I recently found that the mushrooms layer better between the egg and the sausage, but if I were serving this I would put them on top. Then I cut it up into bite size squares and eat. Between the whole wheat and the egg and sausage this is really quite filling.
The rest of my breakfast comes as a snack about two hours later, I usually have 1 c of plain yogurt and 1c of strawberries or raspberries mixed in, and another piece of toast.
This is a really healthy and satisfying way to eat, because you eat about every two hours, and your tummy is never not full. That keeps you from snacking on bad stuff or gorging when you are starving. Plus you body and brain always have fuel, so your body never feels like it is being starved, which is what happens when you skip meals. (then the body starts to save all it can)
good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment