Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A New Direction

While this food blog makes me sound like a crunchy earth momma, domestic goddess, this is not entirely so. I have a love for cheap mexican food, I love deserts, and I love cheese. This has resulted in my current predicament. My dr. called the other day to tell me that my cholesterol is too high. He wants me to start medication for 4 weeks and then retake the blood tests. I don't want to. SO. I have an appointment to talk to him (face to face). I am going to propose radical diet change and starting to work out again, instead of going on medication. If in 4 weeks my cholesterol has gone down. No medication. If not.. Well. I guess I am on medication.
So it is time for me to channel my inner crunchy earth momma, and do more home cooking and less eating mexican. I am going back to using whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat breads. More fish, chicken and turkey and less red meat and pork. Less creamy sauces and less cheese. I guess I will be having oatmeal and cheerios for breakfast.
I will still eat out one day a week. My family goes to a mexican place near our church every Sunday after church, we have done it since I was 12 years old. So I will be doing that still.
The main problem is (confession...) I am terrible about doing the dishes. I hate doing the dishes. I don't know why. It really isn't that hard. But I will procrastinate until I have no clean dishes and we are eating off the "good china" with plastic forks. Then the leaning tower of plates, requires 4 loads of the dishwasher and 30 minutes of hand washing pots and pans. (I have started being better. It is another habit that I have to create. ) But when the kitchen is like that, I don't want to cook, so hubby lets me go out and get food. (an expensive and lazy habit.) The worst part is I love cooking, so it is stupid for me to eat food that doesn't make me happy.
So new direction.
Eat food that makes me happy, nourishes my body, and is healthy.
Get my ass to the gym 3-4 days a week.
Use whole grains, and convert the family.
Reinstate Meatless Monday, Fishy Friday and Wery Weggie Wednesday (sorry. little Star Trek reference there).
Oh and do the dishes every day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara, it's Daphne. I don't know if you've tried this but if you'd like to make a cream sauce that is healthier than your regular heavy cream based recipe substitute evaporated milk. Just don't bring it to a boiling point because it can start to breakdown but over low/med heat I have found it works great. At least then you can have a cream sauce every once in a while and still maintain your goals. Happy eating :).

    ReplyDelete