Sunday, January 21, 2007

Food Alergies and Intolerances

This might be more information than most of you want.
I found out recently that I have a food sensitivity to Oatmeal. I tried the oatmeal for breakfast everyday and after about a week and a half I found that I was getting constipated. (I warned you TMFI) I couldn't understand it. I was eating High fiber breakfast, having salads for lunch and eating apples as snacks. So I did some research on causes, and found that food sensitivity to anything could cause it. Food sensitivity is similar to a mild allergy. I am going to try oatmeal that is not instant, what is called steel cut or pin head oats. But I might just have to cut Oatmeal out.
I have also found that I am developing a sensitivity to milk, right now I only use milk for cereal (oatmeal) and when we have cookies. I think I am going to cut milk out as well. I find that it actually upsets my stomach rather than soothe it. I will keep you all updated on the trying of milk alternatives. I know I don't like Soy milk much, so Meg (my resident Vegan) reccomends rice dream and some of the newer nut milks.
If you want to join the band wagon, these milk alternatives are available in most grocery stores. Soy milk, Silk and Sun Milk (a sunflower and cows milk combination) are all available in the dairy section. The others (Almond milk, Rice milk, Rice Dream and a Hazelnut combination) are available in the standard shelves near the cereal, coffee, or baking aisles usually.
The vegan and Vegetarian options to meat and animal by products have come a long way in the last 5 years. Try something new, you might like it better.
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment