Sunday, March 18, 2012

FoodSperiment: Green Banana Muffins

I did it. I made GREEN banana chocolate chip muffins. The worst thing in these is the chocolate chips. They came out awesome, and no food coloring. Secret ingredient? Spinach. that I got for $.99 for a pound of washed bagged leaves. My kids ate them (ages 2-4), My best friends kids ate them (ages 9 and 11), My mother in law, best friend and her husband all ate them. No one said "Hey why are these green?" or " what are these green flecks?"
Do I get extra mommy food war points when I get other peoples kids to like them?

I combined these two recipes.
http://www.anjasfood4thought.com/2010/11/spinach-banana-muffins.html
combined with my normal recipe of
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-banana-muffins-2/
This is what I came up with... YUMMMY
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 egg
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
• 3/4 cup spinach puree ( I used raw spinach in my food pro, with about 1-2 tbs water)
• 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Measure dry into large bowl. in different bowl beat together, eggs oil, yogurt, vanilla and bananas. then add wet to dry, stir gently to combine, add spinach fold in, and add choco chips.
375 12-15 minutes.
They came out so good. They are green and pretty. (were... they are gone now. they lasted about 15 hours.) It made 12 muffins and 2 mini loaves.
That is EXACTLY the recipe as I made them.
this is the recipe I actually created
• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 egg
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
• 3/4 cup spinach puree
• 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
I don't know HOW. But i omitted almost 3/4 cup of flour and it didn't seem to affect it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment